The book of Acts and the movement of God's Word
The Word moves among those with Judean background (Jews)
- Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- Acts 6:7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.
- Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
The Word moves among the Gentiles
- Acts 11:21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
- Acts 12:24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.
- Acts 16:5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.
- Acts 19:20 So mightly grew the word of God and prevailed.
The Word Moves
The Word of God moved in the first century as individuals believed and kept their hearts centered on the grace of God. The Word moved first among the Judeans and increased to the point that whole churches were being multiplied. They were walking in peace, edification, and comfort. God moved on and sent Peter to the Gentiles. The Gentiles began where the Judean church had with individuals believing the Word. The Word multiplied, and whole churches of believers where added daily. Finally the Word grew mightly and prevailed in Asia.
||Paul Starts Over
- Praising God = "telling God's story"
- Having favor = "holding grace"
- Individuals added daily
- The Lord with them
- Great number believed
- Individuals added
- Preaching and teaching
- To individuals
- The Word grows
- Learners multiply
- Priests listen and obey the right way of believing
- The Word grew
- and multiplied
- Respect of the Lord,
- Whole churches multiplied
- Established in the right way of believing
- Churches increased in number daily
|The Word Prevails
- The Word grew mightly
- The Word prevailed
As the Gentiles began to believe and the Word grew in Asia, the Judean church became focused on legalism and division and lost focus on the move of God's Word.
Following the prevailing of God's Word in Acts 19, the Apostle Paul left the forward movement of God's Word to go back to Jerusalem and try to straighten out the Judean church. Paul ended up in prison and the Word among the Gentiles also became focused on works, law, and individual differences.
By the end of Paul's life II Timothy reports that "all they which are in Asia be turned away from me". AND Paul began to start over teaching individuals:
Acts 28:30-31 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
© Copyright August 1996 Michael